The Institute of Disability, Rehabilitation and Research (IDRR)
The Institute of Disability, Rehabilitation and Research (IDRR) was started in 2014 with the objective to enable human resource development for the disability sector via academic, research, extension and awareness activities.
IDRR is the Centre of Excellence in training people in rehabilitation, disability prevention and management, capacity building. It is a unique, world-class institute that trains professionals from all over the country and abroad via classroom and online mediums.
APD’s focus is largely on North Karnataka where the situation of people with disability (PwD) is grave and no services are available. IDRR aims to produce the required human resource to address the gap, leveraging APD’s rich experience, supporting infrastructure, human resources and technology.
Develop human resource for greater scale and higher quality of healthcare in the disability sector. Serve as a knowledge repository for disability rehabilitation and research.
The futuristic goal of IDRR is to integrate the disability management through research and rehabilitation where APD becomes a knowledge repository, capacity and human resource building centre and thought process leader in this sector.
The Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI), New Delhi has recognized APD as a training institute to offer courses in the disability field. IDRR has designed all the RCI affiliated courses as per curriculum. It also provides placement post training.
The instittute also designs, develops and implements educational and awareness programs for service providers working for the care and cause of PwD for their rehabilitation and mainstreaming in society.
- RCI Affiliated Courses: The Rehab Council of India (RCI) affiliated courses are to develop human resource who will serve in rural areas where 70% of PwD are found. These are:
- Certificate Course in Rehabilitation Training (CCRT) – 12 months
- Certified Course in Care Giving (CCCG) – 10 months
- Certificate Course (Level A, B & C) in Indian Sign Language – 14 months
- Non-RCI Affiliated Courses: These APD-affiliated disability management courses are to facilitate skill development of those people who are not eligible for the RCI courses. These are:
- Community Therapy Aid Course – 6 months
- Certificate Course in Inclusive Education – 6 months
REMOTE REHABILITATION THROUGH TECHNOLOGY (RRT) OR PRERANA
Prerana or Remote Rehabilitation through Technology (RRT) is a tele-rehab or tele-education, purely online, model to connect remotely with districts. It is used for online capacity building and sensitization programs.
The scope for Prerana is huge.