APD welcomes you to participate in our programs and initiatives, leverage your special skills, work with our students and trainees – find your own unique way to become a part of the growing APD family.
Our volunteering options can be categorized as:
Skill Based: Skilled volunteers can help us on a wide variety of projects from creating marketing materials to program development, from staff and beneficiary training to application development. People trained in care-giving can also help. There is a requirement to match every skill!
Program Based: If you are looking to drive and achieve quick and tangible results, you can get involved in short term Community Based Programs in Bangalore or in any of our work districts.
Event Based: APD conducts several events during the year with children, trainees, staff, parents and persons in the community. Volunteers can participate, plan and manage events, photograph and document them or mobilize resources.
Volunteer opportunities with people and children with disability
TEACH STUDENTS IN SHRADHANJALI INTEGRATED SCHOOL (SIS)
Teaching at SIS requires knowledge of the subject as well as patience and affection for the children! You can teach:
- English, Mathematics or other subjects to primary classes,
- basic Science & Mathematics to children from classes IV through VII, or
- Music, Dramatics, Dance and Painting to all our students.
TEACH TRAINEES IN OUR VOCATIONAL TRAINING CENTRE
You can volunteer to teach English language communication & soft skills to our trainees in the 17-23 age group. The trainees are mostly from small towns or rural backgrounds and need language skills and personality development training to help them adapt to the general work culture.
Guidance in IT skills ranging from basic office applications to graphic design is also needed.
OTHER AREAS WHERE YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
- Counsel students, staff, parents and persons in the community.
- Co-ordinate and manage community programs along with our staff and ensure deliverables as per plan.
- Accompany our children/trainees on exposure visits and field trips in and around Bangalore.
- Create visibility and participate in fundraising activities. Support us as we work on marketing plans, communication packages and events. Set yourself monthly targets for fundraising and mobilize resources through your network.
- Document projects – work on process manuals, project reports, success stories, proposals, newsletters etc.
- Mentor our staff.
Volunteer as Caregivers
You can play an active role in APD’s programmes and help not only your loved one but the larger APD family of user-partners and caregivers.
- APD provides extensive disability-specific training to caregivers of children and adults. Caregivers can not only enrol in these programs but actively spread the word in their communities creating a chain of referrals. APD now also offers certificate courses in caregiving.
- By becoming members of community organizations supporting disability like the The Persons with Mental Illness and Caregivers Association, you can proactively lobby for the rights of your wards.
- Caregivers can collaborate with APD field staff to run awareness and training programmes, learning and assessment camps at various locations.
- Creating awareness among the community regarding available government schemes for persons with disability and sharing experiences regarding their utilization will benefit several other caregivers.
PLEASE NOTE: APD does not typically provide volunteers with transportation, travel cost or meals.
How to volunteer
Please get in touch with our team firstname.lastname@example.org